Friday, November 4, 2011

Potosi Snake Howl IPA


I figured I would start this blog with a beer that was picked up for me by my family on their last vacation. I have always been a pretty big hop head and this beer really stands up against IPAs from other brewers such as Stone. The Potosi brewery has been around for a long long time, it is my understanding that they are one of the oldest breweries in the United States. Anyways enough with the history you can visit their webpage if you want to know more.


The beer is a nice golden orange color with out a lot of malt flavor thrown into the mix. I have been searching for the hops used in Snake Howl but so far have turned up empty handed, which is a shame because this is one of the best earthy IPAs I have tasted. While not overwhelming the oak and earth flavors are complimented by a slight hint of citrus that brings a perfect balance to everything, and at 7 percent alcohol you just get a tiny tiny hint of ethanol. For an IPA drinker this would be a great choice to have to build enough confidence to go on the karaoke stage, its not to heavy that having more then 1 or 2 or 5 will fill you up. On the downside the six pack I was given really lacked any head retention which was a shame but not a deal breaker. All in all Potosi Brewery needs to figure out a way to get this distributed in Minnesota.

No comments:

Post a Comment